Friday, June 09, 2006

I finally decided that starting a blog would be the best way to keep track of my thoughts about the journey we started on unwillingly almost nineteen months ago when our son was killed in combat in Iraq. I'll try to keep from having emotional meltdowns on the internet, I will avoid making comments on political matters, I will not talk about the many other families I have met or otherwise contacted unless they give me permission to do so or ask me to tell their stories. I will comment on the news and I will talk about how we cope from day to day. I do not promise great prose, just whatever I've got that day. Some days are better than others.

About naming this blog: We Remember is a phrase that crops up often when talking about fallen soldiers, Marines, airmen and sailors. It seems more positive than simply not forgetting. Remember those we've lost, remember those left behind, remember why we are here.

My technical skills are limited and I don't feel that I have a lot of extra time to acquire new ones so this will probably be pretty simple for a while. The son we lost, Thomas, had a love-hate relationship with the internet which I am really beginning to appreciate. He approached it all with humor though and I'm pretty sure that he'd want me to do the same. It did seem at first that his death would be the end of laughter for us, but that has turned out to not be true at all. If I laugh at myself here occasionally, I hope no one will be offended. And I hope that I will be able to figure out the universe of blogging in a way that will help others understand a little of what we have gone through.

1 Comments:

At July 6, 2011 at 1:06:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't censor one's self. Let the words speak of what one feels. There is no judge and jury here. Just fellow followers of "we remember"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home