Saturday, November 11, 2006

This is the anniversary. Two years ago, Thomas died in combat on a street in Mosul, Iraq. In other countries, according to my calendar, this is Remembrance Day, which seems fitting.

I had thought I would write about the funeral today--this was not a conscious goal but apparently my brain had other ideas--but I think I will put it off. The funeral came eight days after the event and brought some kind of closure but today I am too distracted by the thought of visiting the cemetery, going to Mass, and having some friends over to eat pizza and keep us from collapsing to actually write a coherent account. I've always said that I will do what is possible, and today that is not possible.

I'm adding a link to a picture of Thomas--not great but the last one I'm aware of.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=ol7mkls.9p8ovvvo&Uy=3iggvl&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

1 Comments:

At November 14, 2006 at 4:13:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God bless you. I have a brother in Afghanistan. It's hard enough to even think of him as a "soldier" but even harder to think of him as a potential target. How is it that sweet young men can become soldiers?

Thank you for your blog...I can't begin to know how you feel but I'm appreciate your thoughts.


Andrew

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home