Saturday, December 19, 2009


It is snowing here, it is snowing a lot. We are expecting "up to 20 inches" or maybe more, who knows? They keep telling us this is the most snow we've had since February of 2003 and I keep thinking "I don't remember that storm." But of course I do, I just don't think of it as the storm of February of 2003. What it really is, is the storm that nearly kept us from driving to Columbus Georgia and Fort Benning to see Thomas graduate from basic training. I spent a lot of yesterday on the brink of tears for one reason or other, but some of it was that they kept talking about this big storm coming and I kept remembering that Thomas *loved* snow, especially when he was a little, and one of the pictures that Anna put on my Starbucks coffee cup (Christmas of 2003) was of Thomas playing with Matthew in the snow.

That trip to Ft. Benning was memorable. They had finally plowed our street so we could get off of it to roads that actually were clear, and leave, but school had been cancelled for the entire week (which annoyed me, I was ready to argue that taking time off to see your brother graduate from basic training should be considered an excused absence). As we drove south, the effects of the cold weather and the snow diminished until by the time we got to Atlanta at about 1 (or 3?) a.m. it was almost warm. It was in the 60s in Columbus when we arrived for the ceremony, just in time. The Army was very organized and actually directed us to the correct location to find Thomas and the events. It was great to spend that time with him, even though we'd seen him at Christmas (apparently no one wants to spend Christmas doing basic training, including the trainers, hence the Christmas exodus). I have pictures somewhere but apparently not on this computer. Later.

When we left, the process was reversed and we ended up returning to the frozen north--well, mid-Atlantic. Anna had to go to work and Matthew had a Cub Scout function to get to, all of which happened, but I sort of wish we'd stayed another day at Benning . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

At December 20, 2009 at 5:34:00 AM PST , Blogger Rosa Alba Macdonald said...

is tht mackeral in the pic. gosh. sorry you are having s bad day. prayers and incendiary devices lit this morning. without event. fr k had the boy light the advent vcandles. there was palbable trepidations. i know that is not palpable's spelling. argh. the boy loves snow. we played for thomas...

 
At December 20, 2009 at 11:01:00 AM PST , Blogger Lee Ann said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At December 20, 2009 at 11:01:00 AM PST , Blogger Lee Ann said...

Yes, that is Matthew in the front. He is now at least a foot taller and a lot thinner.

Thank you for the candles!

 
At December 23, 2009 at 1:28:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee Ann, I took yesterday and today and stole away an hour at a time to read your whole blog from beginning to end. There were times I had to stop because...I just had to.
I was on the NFP board when Thomas died. I remember him often. I remember him often because my own Tommy was named after my deceased uncle (WWII) - PFC Thomas David Orton. When I think about my Tommy, I think about my uncle whom I never met, and I think about your Tommy.
After reading your blog, I feel like I know your Thomas a little bit. Now, there will be much more that reminds me of him. I am grateful for reading your blog. I tend to get caught up in worrying about things that don't matter. So now I finished reading, and I'm taking time to just cuddle my kids.
It is snowing here in Colorado today. It is snowing a lot. Lee Ann, I am remembering.
Love, Mary (Lab1224)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home