Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Today is the 5th anniversary of the beginning of the war in Iraq. I do remember watching the television, seeing Baghdad before the bombing started, talk of shock and awe, and then--it began. I remember the first casualty, a Marine helicopter pilot named Jay Aubin (I saw his name this past year on the electronic crawl at the Day of Remembrance and thought of this). Tom Brokaw and three other men, military experts, interviewed CPT Auboin's mother by phone a day or two later. I saw this entirely by accident, it was on in the middle of the day and I had turned on the TV just to check on things (knowing by then that Thomas would probably be going to Iraq). Listening to that very brave woman, watching three of those men choke up to the point of not being able to continue the interview because she asked them to remember that there were real people behind the new technologies, I remember praying that I would be that brave if ever I were in that position. Not sure I got there, but I tried.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home