Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We survived the fourth anniversary. The day was beautiful, sunny and a little autumnal. I ended up going to the cemetery twice because I didn't want Richard to go alone--he came home from his meeting later in the afternoon, after I had already been with Anna and Mike and Edith (my mother-in-law). It was OK. I probably would have stayed there all day if I could have.

Anna and Mike brought flowers, adding them to some that were already there. I brought a small American flag bought at Fort McHenry, and a Remembrance Day poppy that Barbara sent from the UK. We tucked the flag into the flowers and the poppy into the base of the vase. And then we went across the street to Taco Bell to have a commemorative meal (I had iced tea and nachos, not really that good a combination). The last meal Anna and I had with Thomas was at a Taco Bell and we thought he would have appreciated this gesture.

****
I wrote a guest blog entry on Louise Penny's blog today at her invitation (obviously!). It can be found at www.LouisePenny.blogspot.com

Labels:

2 Comments:

At November 14, 2008 at 3:13:00 PM PST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL post on Louise Penny's blog Lee Ann. I kept you and Thomas in my heart while visiting our Oregon memorial and the ceremony they scheduled for Veteran's day. Thank you for doing the reminding, for Thomas and ALL of our soldiers. Chase and Thomas are giving the "thumbs up" to you!

 
At November 17, 2008 at 1:44:00 PM PST , Blogger Lee Ann said...

Just one more example of the unexpected blessings we are given by our sons, to have met Louise and been given this opportunity.

Nothing from our state or our county this year on Veterans' Day. What are they thinking?? (And I am not the only one asking!) I'm glad that Oregon has stepped up to the plate.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home