Saturday, March 06, 2010



On Wednesday, March 3rd, I went to a planning meeting at the Rockville Memorial Library. This is to plan displays and programs (maybe) for the county's libraries and grew out of the discussion at the Veterans' Commission about Memorial Day and Veterans' Day. In the course of Wednesday's discussion, I mentioned the stones the people have been putting on soldiers' graves as a sort of memorial, as well as the many things people have sent to us: quilts, pictures, other things. My remark to this group was that I've developed a little sympathy for the National Park Service which keeps and catalogues everything left at the VietNam War Memorial.


Anyway, the meeting was in Rockville and on the way home I thought I would stop at the cemetery. I hadn't been there since November because of the snow. When I got there I found that Thomas's grave marker had been cleared, as well as Eugene's. And stuck in the base of the vase was a Hershey bar and a tube of Rollos. I was happy to see that someone had been there. I took a picture with my phone and with luck I will be able to upload it here. For an explanation, read the comments on my last entry (March 2nd?).

Labels:

4 Comments:

At March 6, 2010 at 6:21:00 PM PST , Blogger Jason Evans said...

Lee Ann...

My experience there was very therapeutic for me... I broke down crying when I started clearing off his stone... and I choked down a single Rolo with a huge lump in my throat.

Thomas has been in my thoughts for years, and it really affected me to finally "face" him...

 
At March 6, 2010 at 6:23:00 PM PST , Blogger Jason Evans said...

Lee Ann...

I find it very fitting that I "almost" ran into you... I ran into you in Ft. Benning (I think), back in 2003, and I have been a loyal reader for years...

I think God throws us these connections every once in awhile...

 
At March 7, 2010 at 8:28:00 AM PST , Anonymous Laurie said...

Lee Ann,
I love the photo, and the story that goes with it. Thank you for sharing.
Laurie

 
At March 8, 2010 at 4:39:00 AM PST , Blogger Lee Ann said...

Jason, it was also sort of fitting that I went to the cemetery on the way home from a meeting about memorials! I told them that people leave things on the graves and there was the candy! Yes, I think God plans these connections every now and then, and I am very glad for that. Keep in touch!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home