Sunday, May 24, 2009

It doesn't look like I'll be able to go Arlington today--my impulse towards hospitality means that we are going to have to spend today doing some necessary shopping and yard work instead. But here is something I wasn't expecting: MSNBC is keeping a page of remembrances from family and friends of various service members and the son of an old neighbor is there. Someone had told me that Mrs. Avelleyra's son had been killed in Viet Nam but when I met her in 1986 she never spoke of him to me, I suppose because it had been 18 years since his death and also because I was a generation and a half younger than she. I did look his name up on the Wall one day because people should not be forgotten. And now here he is, remembered by his sister: PFC John William Avelleyra http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30891965/

1 Comments:

At September 4, 2009 at 9:46:00 PM PDT , Anonymous Francesca said...

oops...I posted my comment on the wrong date! Forgive me, I've never responded to a blog before. :o)

Francesca

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home