Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Ninth Anniversary

Tomorrow is Veterans Day and the ninth anniversary of Thomas's death.  We will go to Mass, visit the cemetery, maybe order Chinese for dinner in honor of Thomas's love of takeout.

Tomorrow also marks my annual struggle with the conflict between observing Veterans Day and remembering Thomas.  Any other country in the English-speaking world, there would be no problem:  November 11th is Remembrance Day in the UK and Canada.  Here in the US, we have had Memorial Day at the end of May since not long after the end of the Civil War.  So tomorrow, I will feel somewhat out of step with the rest of the country, even though Veterans Day and Remembrance Day share their origin.

Obviously I wrote this on November 10th.  There was a lot I kept trying to say but it didn't work out, and now I think this was plenty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home